The Northwest Horse Source





Join Reader Story Fridays! Click Here to View Story Submission Form


Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Back from the wilds of Alaska

I hope you enjoyed the National Geographic videos from our recent posts. I have to admit that they were a bit of a time-filler, as I was on vacation, visiting some family members, over the last few posting times. Now I'm back from Homer, Alaska (with stops in Anchorage, Soldotna, and Kenai) and I was hoping to have some moose photos to post here. I know, moose aren't a part of the equine family, but I thought they'd be a fun tangent. Sadly, they were all in hiding and I didn't even see one off in the distance. I did see a small family of caribou outside the city of Kenai, and the nose of a Beluga whale poking out of the water along the way down the peninsula. Then there was an otter in Homer, many species of birds, and the insects I tried to ignore (only added one mosquito bite to the current collection--hooray!).

What does this have to do with horses? Not a thing (although I did see a few of those around, including people who were exercising 2 horses and a pony at the beach on a rare sunny day) but I think that horse people appreciate the broad spectrum of wildlife (flies notwithstanding) and it's always nice to go to a new place and see the animals in their natural habitat.

I highly recommend that if you get a chance to travel out of your home area, you take it. On previous trips to Alaska, I've seen bears (from a distance!) and moose and elk, foxes that have no fear of planes, baby bald eagles, and a wide variety of sea and tidepool life that is hard to find elsewhere. I've sat just a few yards away from swimming otters and eaten surprisingly good stew made from halibut and kelp.

Travel is good not only for seeing new things, but for giving you an appreciation of home and all that it has to offer. I'm grateful to be back amongst the Washington firs and ferns, waving at the deer and coyotes as I drive by, and giving my own critters the attention that they missed.

I hope all of you get the opportunity to travel, not only through our beautiful Pacific Northwest, but as far as your imagination may take you.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Submit your photos and stories to us for The Cyber Saddle! We post a new photo every Monday and a new story every Friday. Share your funniest, scariest, most touching and exciting moments with the Northwest equine community. Submit stories (.doc, .rtf, or text in the body of an email) and photos (.jpg) to editor@nwhorsesource.com or use our Reader Story Submission Form. All rights remain with the writer/photographer.

 
Copyright © • Northwest Horse Source
Address: PO Box 717, Blaine, WA 98231
Phone: 360-332-5579 • Fax: 360-332-1826 • Email: info@nwhorsesource.com
Disclaimer/Terms of Use