The Northwest Horse Source





Join Reader Story Fridays! Click Here to View Story Submission Form


Wednesday, November 5, 2008

A New Journey

by Karen Pickering

After a month's layoff with a very badly bruised foot, I’m back in the saddle again! I’ve decided I need to get serious about getting some time in the saddle and sharpening my riding skills.

April and I are on a journey. I would like to get her finished and in the showpen next year. I’m on a pretty tight budget, like almost everyone else right now, so I turned to one of our columnists for some help.

Allison Trimble of Coastal Equine, writer of our monthly “On the Plus Side” column, has successfully shown performance horses and has a good breeding program with her own horses, and now April and I are working with her to brush up our skills and fix our problem areas. Make sure to pick up the December issue of the Northwest Horse Source for the beginning of a new series that follows us on this journey.

April, my 9-year-old AQHA mare, has a good foundation, I just never saw her training process through to the end. I believe we are always “in training,” but sometimes we need a someone to help us find our way. One challenge for us has been my inconsistent riding. Since I’m turning over a new leaf and will be riding two to three times a week now, I hope I’ll be seeing some improvement.

I love trail riding and so does April. However, I find that if I’m working on my riding skills, it makes the trail ride even more enjoyable. My ultimate goal is to be able to look somewhat good and have fun while taking in a local show. I’m pretty sure that most of you just want to enjoy your horses more, as well. That's what NWHS is all about—getting the most out of the time spent with your horse, regardless of breed or discipline.

I invite your comments below and would love for you to join us on this journey. Be watching for the next issue of Northwest Horse Source.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

aHello everyone! I really want to encourage all of you to take control of your horse experience! This has been a great step for Karen and April and I am very excited to help them along in their process. If you have any questions for me, or any ideas for articles, or if you have any questions, or would like any advice on your horse situation.... please feel free to contact me either on this blog, or at coastalequine@aol.com. Happy Trails~ Allison

November 11, 2008 at 8:31 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Submit your photos and stories to us for The Cyber Saddle! We post a new photo every Monday and a new story every Friday. Share your funniest, scariest, most touching and exciting moments with the Northwest equine community. Submit stories (.doc, .rtf, or text in the body of an email) and photos (.jpg) to editor@nwhorsesource.com or use our Reader Story Submission Form. All rights remain with the writer/photographer.

 
Copyright © • Northwest Horse Source
Address: PO Box 717, Blaine, WA 98231
Phone: 360-332-5579 • Fax: 360-332-1826 • Email: info@nwhorsesource.com
Disclaimer/Terms of Use