The Northwest Horse Source





Join Reader Story Fridays! Click Here to View Story Submission Form


Friday, November 7, 2008

No Excuse Zone

by Karyn "K.C." Cowdrey

For me, working for a horse magazine is both energizing and time consuming. Before I came to work at NWHS, I was self-employed and had the luxury of riding whenever I felt like riding. Now I have an M-F 8:30 to 5:00 p.m. job, but I still have two young horses that are in training and need miles put on them to become broke horses, and I still have 5 Belgian Tervuren dogs that expect time and attention, and require grooming and training as well.

What I have found is that I actually ride more consistently, now that I’m on a tighter schedule, than I did when I was self-employed.

What?

Yes, you read it correctly: I ride more now than I did before. I truly believe it is because my time is so tight. I have learned that I must stick to my schedule to accomplish the personal goals I have for my horses’ training levels. I can no longer afford to make an excuse to not ride. I will not be able to go out in a few more hours when the rains let up because I won’t be home in a few more hours. I cannot figure I can make up a day off by riding tomorrow because tomorrow I have to work all day.

What do you do to find the time to ride? Do you schedule it in or just go when the time presents itself, or...? Drop me a note and let me know. I’m always looking for innovative ways to get things done.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

One thing I do to 'make time' to ride is literally schedule it into my week, kind of like 'date night' with my horse!

I have found this works well for me because I work 50 hour weeks and found myself not even seeing my horse if I did not put it on my calendar.

Helen Harrison -

November 7, 2008 at 2:09 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Submit your photos and stories to us for The Cyber Saddle! We post a new photo every Monday and a new story every Friday. Share your funniest, scariest, most touching and exciting moments with the Northwest equine community. Submit stories (.doc, .rtf, or text in the body of an email) and photos (.jpg) to editor@nwhorsesource.com or use our Reader Story Submission Form. All rights remain with the writer/photographer.

 
Copyright © • Northwest Horse Source
Address: PO Box 717, Blaine, WA 98231
Phone: 360-332-5579 • Fax: 360-332-1826 • Email: info@nwhorsesource.com
Disclaimer/Terms of Use