The Northwest Horse Source





Join Reader Story Fridays! Click Here to View Story Submission Form


Friday, November 28, 2008

The Waiting Game

Last week, I mentioned that my mare, Dancer, was lame. Saturday, after a lengthy veterinarian exam, the conclusion was that we couldn't diagnose her locally, but the vet suspected a pelvic fracture. The only way to know for sure will be to get her to Washington State University where they have the needed equipment and expertise.

My wallet is still recovering from my mustang Poncho’s battle with sand colic, and we’re almost at Christmas so the timing is not the best, but as an owner it is my responsibility to properly care for my horse. We are hoping for an appointment at WSU soon after Thanksgiving.

Taking on a part time job in the evenings is in my immediate future, and I won’t be buying that new horse trailer I’ve been dreaming about any time soon, but I think a healthy horse is better than a new trailer any day, don’t you?

I plan to share Dancer’s continuing story with you here on The Cyber Saddle in hopes that we can all learn something from this. If any of you have stories to share about pelvic injuries in your equine friends, please post your comments below or feel free to email me directly at Karyn@nwhorsesource.com. I would love to hear what you know. Perhaps it will help Dancer and me on our quest for the road to soundness!

In the meantime, hug your horses and get out and ride!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Submit your photos and stories to us for The Cyber Saddle! We post a new photo every Monday and a new story every Friday. Share your funniest, scariest, most touching and exciting moments with the Northwest equine community. Submit stories (.doc, .rtf, or text in the body of an email) and photos (.jpg) to editor@nwhorsesource.com or use our Reader Story Submission Form. All rights remain with the writer/photographer.

 
Copyright © • Northwest Horse Source
Address: PO Box 717, Blaine, WA 98231
Phone: 360-332-5579 • Fax: 360-332-1826 • Email: info@nwhorsesource.com
Disclaimer/Terms of Use