The Northwest Horse Source





Join Reader Story Fridays! Click Here to View Story Submission Form


Friday, January 16, 2009

Setting the Bar

Every January we hear a lot in advertising about "this year I resolve to…." One interesting trend I’ve been noticing is that this year instead of saying "resolve to stick to goals you set for yourself," people are saying “resolve to not resolve.” In other words, they’re giving themselves—and us—permission to set the bar low and not follow through with our goals.

While setting realistic goals is important, if we set the bar low, how do we ever learn to push ourselves beyond the level of mediocre?

This year I have three resolutions for 2009:

#1: Qualify for and compete in Western Pleasure for two regional Arabian breed shows with my young Arabian gelding.

#2: Improve my reining riding skills enough to be able to successfully compete in breed and open organization events, such as NWRA.

#3: Lose 20 lbs to help my riding.

I am working hard at all three goals and am hoping to debut my gelding in Junior Horse Western Pleasure at the Windy Tides Schooling Show series this coming March as a warm-up.

While goal #1 is a rather large goal, it will keep me working hard instead of coasting. Goals #2 and #3 are more reasonable for me but still enough to force me to work, and if I put it in print it helps hold me accountable.

So let’s not be afraid to resolve to reach the high bar this year!

What are some of your equine-related goals? Start that 4-year-old? Learn a new discipline? Take a more challenging trail? Spend three days a week in the saddle instead of three days a month? Comment below and let us know!

In the meantime, get out and ride!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Submit your photos and stories to us for The Cyber Saddle! We post a new photo every Monday and a new story every Friday. Share your funniest, scariest, most touching and exciting moments with the Northwest equine community. Submit stories (.doc, .rtf, or text in the body of an email) and photos (.jpg) to editor@nwhorsesource.com or use our Reader Story Submission Form. All rights remain with the writer/photographer.

 
Copyright © • Northwest Horse Source
Address: PO Box 717, Blaine, WA 98231
Phone: 360-332-5579 • Fax: 360-332-1826 • Email: info@nwhorsesource.com
Disclaimer/Terms of Use