The Northwest Horse Source





Join Reader Story Fridays! Click Here to View Story Submission Form


Friday, November 13, 2009

Reader Story of the Week: Patrick and Kiowa

Who says an old girl can’t learn new tricks?
by Kathy Bateman, Stanwood Theraputic Riding

Kiowa is a twenty three year old Appaloosa / Quarter Horse cross, and one third of the equine team at Stanwood Therapeutic Riding, operating out of the Stanwood Equestrian Center. She is a very well put together horse who was the family pet for twenty two years, and had one other stint as a therapy horse in Colorado from 1996-1997.

Her calm demeanor, sprightly attitude, and willing-to-please work ethic make her a great component of our program. She is a very versatile horse, as she can take riders who may be in a wheelchair, and help them relax their legs, while strengthening their trunk; or she can work with a child with autism, and help them focus. Her walk can go from short and perky to elongated and smooth as needed. She patiently waits for saddle or rider adjustments, and gladly steps to her work when asked. Her voice is low and long, and her owner describes it as a rhinoceros voice.

We are very fortunate to have her, and look forward to many years of collaboration with her. She is a positive attribute to both the Appaloosa and Quarterhorse breeds, and a stunning example of what combining the power of the horse and the human can do to optimize the abilities of both.

Below is a story written by one of her current riders, Patrick.

Hi. My name is Patrick Johnson. I am 39 years old and work in Everett as a mail clerk for the State of Washington. I live in Stanwood with my parents. I have lots of hobbies including bowling, swimming, watching sports on TV and going to Husky games at the UW. My favorite thing to do though is riding horses. I am a quadriplegic with cerebral palsy and do not use my right side much. I have been riding through a therapeutic riding program for about 15 years now.

I have ridden on a lot of horses over the past few years and each one has given me a new experience. All of them have helped relax my tight muscles and made me also use muscles I would not normally use. It has helped my posture also. My self esteem has also raised. I get a totally different view from up on the horse. I normally am at waist level as I am in a wheelchair. I feel like I can take control of my life along with the horse.

Kiowa is the horse that I am riding now and she helps me so much by listening and feeling my every move when I am on top of her. She and I make a great team! I cannot imagine not being able to ride horses. I am thankful for Stanwood Therapeutic Riding for opening their doors when I was worried about ever riding again. They have made it possible for me to continue to get the therapy I need (both physical and emotional) Kiowa is the best horse ever for me and I love her so much. -Patrick

~Patrick and Kiowa

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kudos to The STR, Kiowa and Patrick!It's great to see the connection between horse and rider, and read of the benefit Kiowa gives to Patrick and others who are fortunate enough to connect with Kiowa at Stanwood Therapeutic Riding.
Judy in Sacramento

November 15, 2009 at 1:24 PM  
Blogger Katie_Scarlett said...

What an awesome story of love and committment. I am so happy for both you Patrick and Kiowa and the positive experience you have given eachother. Miss you and glad to see you are doing great!

Love,
Katie
California

November 15, 2009 at 7:17 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Submit your photos and stories to us for The Cyber Saddle! We post a new photo every Monday and a new story every Friday. Share your funniest, scariest, most touching and exciting moments with the Northwest equine community. Submit stories (.doc, .rtf, or text in the body of an email) and photos (.jpg) to editor@nwhorsesource.com or use our Reader Story Submission Form. All rights remain with the writer/photographer.

 
Copyright © • Northwest Horse Source
Address: PO Box 717, Blaine, WA 98231
Phone: 360-332-5579 • Fax: 360-332-1826 • Email: info@nwhorsesource.com
Disclaimer/Terms of Use