The Northwest Horse Source





Join Reader Story Fridays! Click Here to View Story Submission Form


Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Holiday Wishes

by Karen Pickering
Photo: April & Karen, 2002, by Jack Kintner


As you hustle about getting ready for the holidays, do you ever feel overwhelmed or cheated? What is this season supposed to mean? Certainly not stress. Why then do we feel so pushed to get things done? Have we forgotten the meaning of the holiday?

This is a time of discovery for me. It’s a time to review my life and decide where I want to go from here. It’s time to get out of the rut, make things happen and find that motivation to get moving!

I want to share my vision with you. In November of 2008 I sat down and wrote this:

My Dreams and Goals
My dream is to have a small A-frame or rustic style home on acreage. An indoor arena, my office in the structure with a viewing area. A place to invite friends, family and provide a great environment for my team. A place where people can come to see and experience horses. To have balance, time to travel, spend time riding (working 20 to 30 hours a week in the office, and the rest of the time visiting clients, horse people, ranches, and experiencing different clinics). Time to get away (quiet time for reflecting). I would like to be a good leader and inspire others to be successful. Help others on their journeys to build their own dreams. I’d like to go back to school to learn more about software, graphics, get back to drawing and painting as a creative outlet. I would like to be organized, good at time management and clutter-free. To ultimately have time for others and keep perspective on what’s really important to me: God, family, friends, my work relationships, and my animals. To have unconditional love and acceptance of others.

I want to be the best educational resource for horse people in the Northwest. I would like to grow the NWHS organization to other projects such as directories, other publications and eventually tackle nationwide distribution with a team of people dedicated to educating the equine community. I want to be able to work on the business, not in the business, to create alliances that allow the NWHS to expand and grow into an entity that can be around after I’m gone.

Okay, I’ve bared my soul. So now I would love to know what this holiday means to you. Please comment. I’d love to know what you dream about, both for yourself and for your horses. This is a place to make a commitment to make things happen!

I wish you rich blessings this holiday season, a time of reflection and thanksgiving. Thank you for being a part of my world!

Warmly,
Karen

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I believe the Reason for Christmas, Chanukah, Winter Solstice, whatever you belive it is, should be a time to appreciate all the people in life who make things happier, safer, more comfortable, easier, challenging, joyful, better, unique, and basically a time to show our appreciation for the rest of mankind.

It is a time to do something for someone else and not look for something for ourselves. By doing this, we get more then we will give. You don't have to spend money to do something for someone else.

Perhaps remember to smile and hold a door open for a person who's hands are full or body is frail. Smile when walking down the street and saying thankyou to the people who serve us daily at the grocery store, the bank, the service station, etc.

It's the time to be sure to let the people who are special in our lives truly know we hold them special and our lives would be less rich with out them.

The Holidays to me is a time of celebrating the good in our lives and sharing that feeling with others.

December 9, 2009 at 11:02 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Submit your photos and stories to us for The Cyber Saddle! We post a new photo every Monday and a new story every Friday. Share your funniest, scariest, most touching and exciting moments with the Northwest equine community. Submit stories (.doc, .rtf, or text in the body of an email) and photos (.jpg) to editor@nwhorsesource.com or use our Reader Story Submission Form. All rights remain with the writer/photographer.

 
Copyright © • Northwest Horse Source
Address: PO Box 717, Blaine, WA 98231
Phone: 360-332-5579 • Fax: 360-332-1826 • Email: info@nwhorsesource.com
Disclaimer/Terms of Use