The Northwest Horse Source





Join Reader Story Fridays! Click Here to View Story Submission Form


Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Out With the Old, In With the New

by Karen Pickering

As I sit quietly in my office this morning, I contemplate the events of this past year. It’s been the most difficult year I can remember for a long time, and yet it has contained the best in lessons I’ve learned.

My husband, Mark, has never been involved with the horses, but since my accident this past summer he has stepped in and done all the heavy lifting. He cleans stalls, hauls water, hauls hay—whatever needs to be done—as I’m still recovering. I look forward to the mornings now more than ever, since they have become a family affair. Even though it’s just Mark, me, the dog, two cats and two horses, we all seem to look forward to the start of the day. Through this difficulty I feel far more appreciation for what he does on and around our small farm.

I think we take each other for granted at times, so all that has come to pass this year has been an incredible lesson for me in gratitude. I hope I can bestow the same blessings on him at some point as he has given me.

In this time of lack and this season of giving, we can find joy in what we have instead of in what we wish we had. Here, at the end of this year, I find myself going through all of my "stuff" and trying to dispose of what I don’t use or need. I realize I need to unclutter my life, to free my mind and stop the feeling of always being overwhelmed. If you feel the same way, maybe NWHS can help.

This coming year I will be sharing the story of our farm makeover for chore efficiency, cost effectiveness and environmental sensitivity. Working with experts in the field, the measures we take will be brought to you in a new articles series by Alayne Blickle so you, too, can make the most of your small (or medium...or even large) farm or horse property.

I’m looking forward to a wonderful, prosperous 2010 for everyone. Please enjoy our upcoming issues as we highlight all our Northwest region has to offer. I’ll communicate with you next year!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would suggest adopting a NEW THEME for 2010... No more talk about down times, organizing your life, etc...

Instead try adopting a more positive attitude and only talk about positive things in your column. It would be more uplifting and perhaps entice more people to converse.

December 30, 2009 at 2:16 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Submit your photos and stories to us for The Cyber Saddle! We post a new photo every Monday and a new story every Friday. Share your funniest, scariest, most touching and exciting moments with the Northwest equine community. Submit stories (.doc, .rtf, or text in the body of an email) and photos (.jpg) to editor@nwhorsesource.com or use our Reader Story Submission Form. All rights remain with the writer/photographer.

 
Copyright © • Northwest Horse Source
Address: PO Box 717, Blaine, WA 98231
Phone: 360-332-5579 • Fax: 360-332-1826 • Email: info@nwhorsesource.com
Disclaimer/Terms of Use