The Northwest Horse Source





Join Reader Story Fridays! Click Here to View Story Submission Form


Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Product Review: Soft-Ride Equine Boots

by Karen Pickering
Click the image for a larger view
Last week I got some disappointing news. My mare, April, was diagnosed with navicular disease. This was very hard to take, especially after the long road to healing with her PSSM issue that started in the spring.

The first ride we took this fall went very well. She’s such a willing horse, athletic with a great attitude. After cooling her out, I noticed she was standing with her front feet out in front of her. She was noticeably limping as I led her out to the trailer and unsaddled her.

I gave her some bute to ease the pain and inflammation but still noticed discomfort for a week. I assumed I overdid the ride. When I finally took her to the vet for some x-rays, the news was not good. It clearly showed shadows in the bone, which we were hoping not to find. Dr. DeYoung recommended a product called Soft-Ride to give her some relief on those sore feet.

My farrier pulled her shoes off and I called Debbie Ruetenik at Soft-Ride to see about getting some of her Equine Comfort Boots. She was incredible to work with and sent a set off to me overnight so I could test them out. I used the boots with just the standard gel inserts, and April experienced immediate relief. It was so nice to see her move around after she had spent the past few days lying down most of the time since her feet hurt her so badly.

I would highly recommend this product to support and protect the feet. Many people use these boots when hauling long distances as well as for laminitis or navicular issues. If you want to protect your horse’s feet, you can find out more at http://www.soft-ride.com/

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Karyn Cowdrey said...

How have the boots held up to constant use? I've been looking at them for hauling distances but at almost $200 a set I want to be sure they hold up to use and abuse first.

December 2, 2009 at 10:35 AM  
Blogger NWHS said...

Karyn,
The boots have held up pretty well. I now only use them right after my horse is trimmed. Considering she's on sand I'm pretty pleased.

March 3, 2010 at 1:21 PM  
Anonymous Air Jordan 5 said...

What a great blog!There have a chance that we can have an furthur exchanges and cooperation.I will always pay attention to your blog.

March 12, 2010 at 12:07 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Submit your photos and stories to us for The Cyber Saddle! We post a new photo every Monday and a new story every Friday. Share your funniest, scariest, most touching and exciting moments with the Northwest equine community. Submit stories (.doc, .rtf, or text in the body of an email) and photos (.jpg) to editor@nwhorsesource.com or use our Reader Story Submission Form. All rights remain with the writer/photographer.

 
Copyright © • Northwest Horse Source
Address: PO Box 717, Blaine, WA 98231
Phone: 360-332-5579 • Fax: 360-332-1826 • Email: info@nwhorsesource.com
Disclaimer/Terms of Use