The Northwest Horse Source





Join Reader Story Fridays! Click Here to View Story Submission Form


Thursday, December 24, 2009

Reader Story: Letter to the Editor, Senior Horses

We've bumped our reader story to Thursday this week--even blogs get Christmas day off! Happy Holidays to all of you from NWHS.

Am just now reading your December issue. Re: The Senior Horse, I thought it might interest you that I now have the 30-year-old registered Quarter Horse mare in the photo (see Monday's post) and another 31-year-old. Both are under blankets now, as well as my 18-year-old Thoroughbred (pictured below). Some 15 years back I had a running Quarter mare who made 40! It was months prior to senior horse feed coming out. I'm on a 167-acre "ranch" in north central Idaho. I've been into horses all my life. I'm 78 now and still keep 4 horses. At one time my husband and I had 59 horses and mules. We outfitted for big game in the mountains between Idaho and Montana.

I can take on these old horses now and feel I owe it to them. Incidentally, the 30 and 31 year old are still sound and occasionally ridden in summer. Recently we had 0 and 3 to 4 degrees for a prolonged period of time. That's hard on man and beast!

I do hope this may be of interest and that you and yours hae a wonderful Holiday Season.


~Sally Shawley

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Submit your photos and stories to us for The Cyber Saddle! We post a new photo every Monday and a new story every Friday. Share your funniest, scariest, most touching and exciting moments with the Northwest equine community. Submit stories (.doc, .rtf, or text in the body of an email) and photos (.jpg) to editor@nwhorsesource.com or use our Reader Story Submission Form. All rights remain with the writer/photographer.

 
Copyright © • Northwest Horse Source
Address: PO Box 717, Blaine, WA 98231
Phone: 360-332-5579 • Fax: 360-332-1826 • Email: info@nwhorsesource.com
Disclaimer/Terms of Use