The Northwest Horse Source





Join Reader Story Fridays! Click Here to View Story Submission Form


Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Why Horse Magazines Won’t Die

by Karen Pickering

I ran across this article and I just had to share it: http://www.foliomag.com/2009/why-magazines-wont-die.

I agree with the author completely. When I want to relax, I think of a magazine or good book, not grabbing my laptop. I want to curl up in a comfy chair with my dog and comfortably read an article or just browse the pages. Many of us sit in front of a computer all day and don’t feel like turning it on when we get home.

I think of my computer as a tool for work or research. A magazine, on the other hand, is the most relaxing way to enjoy reading about the things I love most.

I believe magazines won’t die because they are still a great way to relax. As I’m finishing up on my holiday gifts, I'm reminded that one of the best gifts you can give someone is one that keeps coming all year. A magazine subscription is something you can look forward to getting in the mail each month, bringing you new stories, new things to buy and a great look at what's happening in our region.

We all need to relax more, so go ahead and get off the computer. Go curl up with a magazine and just browse through. Look at the photos; read anything that catches your eye. And when you've done that, come back and visit us online. Let us know what you think here in the blog comments or send me an email at Karen@nwhorsesource.com.

Have a wonderful holiday season and enjoy our next issue, which will be in stores (in relaxing print-on-paper format!) by January 1st, ready to help you ride into the new year!

Warmly,
Karen

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Karyn said...

Magazines won't die, but they will change in delivery method significantly and ARE changing.

I wasn't fond of the digital magazines at first, but honestly I now like to be able to access them because I DO spend so much time on my computer it is convenient to have the magazine online to reference information from, which for me is mostly what I use magazines for, valuable source of information, not really relaxation.

I thought I would HATE a digital version of a book (EBook) until I found myself stuck someone for a few hours with my smart phone and no book handy and was tired of browsing the web on my phone. I have an application for my BlackBerry and purchased an ebook I'd wanted to read but hadn't gotten to the bookstore to buy and downloaded and now I am HOOKED! It is so easy to use my down time and stop and read something entertaining, or informative, etc on my smartphone, I'm loving it and can see that unless I can't get the book in ebook format, I won't be purchasing paperbacks anymore because I ALWAYS have my phone with me but not always think to pack a separate book.

If magazines can figure out how to deliver their content via the ebook formats smoothly, I think it will go a long way to keeping people interested in the interesting and informative short reads a magazine can provide versus a book.

So I do agree magazines won't die, but I do think they will change considerably in delivery methodology in the next 10 yrs.

December 16, 2009 at 10:28 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Submit your photos and stories to us for The Cyber Saddle! We post a new photo every Monday and a new story every Friday. Share your funniest, scariest, most touching and exciting moments with the Northwest equine community. Submit stories (.doc, .rtf, or text in the body of an email) and photos (.jpg) to editor@nwhorsesource.com or use our Reader Story Submission Form. All rights remain with the writer/photographer.

 
Copyright © • Northwest Horse Source
Address: PO Box 717, Blaine, WA 98231
Phone: 360-332-5579 • Fax: 360-332-1826 • Email: info@nwhorsesource.com
Disclaimer/Terms of Use