The Northwest Horse Source





Join Reader Story Fridays! Click Here to View Story Submission Form


Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Reading for fun or fact?

by Karen Pickering

Lately, I’ve been immersed in motivational audio books. It’s interesting, but it seems I never read for fun. I’m always hungry to learn (sometimes out of necessity). My horse stories and training books seem to gather dust as I focus on staying motivated. So I propose a new conversation:

I would be very interested to know what kinds of books you read. Do you read for enjoyment, knowledge, or to shop? What is the most important reason for you to read? Are you moved by an inspirational story? Do you prefer learning by training DVDs or reading magazines and books?

At this stage in my life I’ve somehow stopped reading those exciting horse books of my youth, the classics like Black Beauty, The Black Stallion or Misty of Chincoteague. I remember reading those stories and more for hours. I took great pleasure in uncovering the adventure on each page. I would love to hear your thoughts on reading and learning.

Take a moment to share your thoughts with me. It’s easy to comment--just post your views below this article. I’d love to know about your favorite books. Thank you in advance for sharing your thoughts!

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Catherine said...

Hi Karen. I love to read and find that I read in spurts. I enjoy anything that is well written, fiction or non fiction. I love memoir that has an authentic voice, adventurous non fiction such as Into Thin Air, and anything inspirational. My favorite fiction has these same qualities and provokes thought. Recently I read, Peace Like A River, by Leif Enger. Outstanding. And I've never lost my appetite for a good horse story. Reading and riding, gotta make time for both:).

February 20, 2010 at 8:31 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Submit your photos and stories to us for The Cyber Saddle! We post a new photo every Monday and a new story every Friday. Share your funniest, scariest, most touching and exciting moments with the Northwest equine community. Submit stories (.doc, .rtf, or text in the body of an email) and photos (.jpg) to editor@nwhorsesource.com or use our Reader Story Submission Form. All rights remain with the writer/photographer.

 
Copyright © • Northwest Horse Source
Address: PO Box 717, Blaine, WA 98231
Phone: 360-332-5579 • Fax: 360-332-1826 • Email: info@nwhorsesource.com
Disclaimer/Terms of Use